The American Chamber of Commerce in Bosnia and Herzegovina (AmCham BiH) hosted the "Healthcare as an Investment 2023" conference in Sarajevo on October 26, 2023. The conference brought together eminent domestic and foreign experts from the fields of medicine, pharmacy, business, insurance, IT and decision makers from different levels in BiH to discuss ways to improve the healthcare system of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Conference participants concluded that healthcare reform in Bosnia and Herzegovina is necessary and should be based on the following principles:
• Transparency and predictability of the patient journey: Patients need to know what to expect at every stage of their journey through the healthcare system, from diagnosis to treatment and follow-up care.
• Accelerating the availability of medicines: Patients should have timely access to the latest and most effective medicines.
• Introduction of new and more efficient health financing models: The existing health financing system in Bosnia and Herzegovina is complex and inefficient. New models are needed to ensure that everyone has access to quality health care regardless of income or employment status.
• Digitization of the health sector: Digitization can help improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the health system. For example, electronic health records can make it easier for health care providers to share information and coordinate care.
• Strengthening partnership relations between governments, health institutions, the private sector and civil society: All actors must work together to achieve health care reform in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
AmCham BiH encourages all interested parties to support health care reform in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Together we can create a better health system for all citizens.
In addition to the aforementioned key principles, the conference participants also discussed a number of specific recommendations for improving the health system in Bosnia and Herzegovina. These recommendations include:
• Improving care coordination between different health care providers: This would help reduce duplication of services and ensure that patients receive the care they need in a timely manner.
• Investing in preventive care: Preventive care is necessary to maintain people's health and reduce the need for expensive medical interventions in the future.
• Improving access to health care in rural areas: Many people in rural areas of Bosnia and Herzegovina have difficulties in accessing quality health care. New initiatives are needed to address this challenge.
• Addressing the shortage of health workers: Bosnia and Herzegovina is facing a shortage of doctors, nurses and other health workers. This gap needs to be addressed to ensure that everyone has access to quality health care.
Thank you to everyone who contributed to the organization of the conference, especially the partners Association of Innovative Drug Manufacturers and IQVIA, and sponsors Medtronic, Berg, Oracle and E-medIT.
The "Healthcare as an Investment 2023" conference was a valuable opportunity for stakeholders to gather and discuss ways to improve the healthcare system in Bosnia and Herzegovina. AmCham BiH is committed to working with all interested parties to make health care reform a reality.
#HealthcareInvestment #Health #Investments #BiH #AmChamBiH